- Only the named subscriber of an active subscription of Ontario Monster Whitetails (hereinafter called "OMW"), not their spouse, child or dependents, are eligible to participate in the King of the Woods Contest (hereinafter called "Contest") (See Addendum 1). No additional fees required to participate
- Participants are responsible for complying with provincial hunting and firearms regulations
- Non-residents of Ontario and residents of Ontario are eligible
- Only antlered whitetail deer legally harvested in Ontario during open seasons for the year the contest is operating are eligible (See Addendum 2)
- Only deer taken under ethical, fair-chase hunting conditions may be entered (See Addendum 3)
- A deer must be recovered within 24 hours of the initial shot to be entered. Any deer that is not claimed within 24 hours of the initial shot is deemed "Lost" for the purposes of this contest and cannot be entered
- Any deer "found" dead, near death or helpless (as in the rules of fair-chase as outlined in Addendum 3) cannot be entered
- Legal statements verifying authenticity of applicant information including date and method of harvest will be required including witness signatures (see Addendum 4)
- Failure to comply with any requirements listed in the rule set will result in disqualification from the contest (see Addendum 5)
- A deer must be entered into the weekly period with which the date of harvest falls. Any false representation of date or method of harvest will result in immediate disqualification
- A subscriber may enter more than one entry but may only win ONE weekly prize package. Should a contestant enter the largest buck in more than one scoring period, OMW will decide which entry becomes the weekly winner and the weekly winner position for the additional scoring period(s) will accrue to the next largest scoring buck entered during that scoring period
- In the event of a first place tie between two entries in one scoring period, a panel of FROW measurers will be responsible for measuring the final score. Should a tie still exist after the panel scoring, the largest net score will be awarded the first place position. Should a tie still exist, the deer with the higher gross score will be awarded the first place position. Should a tie still exist, the deer shot earliest in the scoring period will be awarded the first place position.
- Should a dispute arise regarding the eligibility of an entry, the disputing party must notify OMW in writing within 60 days of the harvest of the deer giving reasons for the dispute. OMW will attempt to resolve the dispute by such methods and means as it deems necessary and each side will be held financially liable before the fact, for any and all costs that may be incurred by OMW in its efforts to fairly resolve the dispute. Failure to satisfy any financial obligation before the fact will be sufficient cause to reject any and/or all claims by a disputing party. OMW reserves the exclusive right to resolve any and all disputes. OMW reserves the right to remove any applicant and refuse participation to any parties involved in a dispute as deemed necessary by OMW alone. OMW reserves the right to refuse participation or nullify an entry up until the awarding of the prizes
- OMW reserves the right to refuse participation in the contest
- By entering a deer into the contest, contestants agree to abide by and be bound by all rules of the contest
- OMW reserves the right to change, modify, add to or alter the rules as deemed necessary by situations that may arise and are not covered herein
- The 2017 hunting season (bow, muzzleloader, modern firearm) will be broken into 12 periods, identified as "weeks" (see Addendum 6)
- Within 14 days of the harvest, the successful applicant must submit:
- A photo of the "whole" animal and the hunter along with their firearm (gun or bow)
A completed application form with two non-related witness signatures (see Addendum 7) verifying the date and method of harvest
The top bucks each week will be identified from entries and published online
Each of the top entries published online MUST be scored after 60 day drying period by an official FROW, B&C, or P&Y measurer and official scoresheet must be received by Mar 31, 2018.
1 overall winner is selected for each week based on GROSS score (see Addendum 8)
At the close of the season, all 12 weekly winners must compete in the "King of the Woods Hunting Triathlon" (see Addendum 9 & 10) held in late Spring or early Summer at just outside Peterborough, ON.
- picture cannot be of the animal hanging, skinned, etc
- picture must include the hunter and the exact firearm used for the harvest
Highest overall score of the triathlon is crowned Ontario's "King of the Woods" and wins a prize package from the contest sponsors.
The 11 other contestants, in the order they place, receive a prize package from our sponsors
- 1st event: Shooting clay targets with a Beretta 12 guage shotgun from a Champion thrower
- 2nd event: Shooting a series of 3-D targets with an Excalibur crossbow
- 3rd Event: Hunting Test prepared by licensed Hunter Education Course instructor
- questions will be geared towards safe and legal hunting practice
- To qualify for the contest, OMW must have received payment for the subscription at least 7 days prior to the date the deer was harvested. If a current subscriber's subscription lapses during the contest and is not renewed, they are no longer eligible. It is the responsibility of the subscriber to ensure their subscription does not lapse. OMW is not responsible for notifying the subscriber of the expiration date. If the subscription is in the name of multiple persons, the first name on the subscription will be eligible for participation in the contest. If a subscription is in the name of a company, only the chief operating officer of the company is eligible for the Contest. In summary, all hunters wishing to participate in the contest must have a subscription in their own name.
- Open seasons are those periods stated by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and listed in the most-current Hunting Regulations Summary as being legal times to harvest whitetail deer in the province of Ontario. All open seasons, including controlled hunts, are eligible for the contest. Deer harvested under Deer Removal Permits (DRA's), Ministry organized cull programs or any other system other than open seasons as described above are NOT eligible.
- Ethical and fair-chase hunting shall not include the taking of an animal under the following conditions:
Only the individual who harvested the deer is eligible to enter it into the King of the Woods contest. If, for some reason, it is impossible to determine who made the lethal shot, a complete write-up detailing all aspects of the hunt from all involved parties must be provided and will be subject to decision made by the contest judges.
Should a contestant be found guilty of cheating and/or not being in full compliance with contest rules after prizes have been awarded, they are responsible to return all prizes or pay the retail value of prize package including applicable taxes within 30 days of notice.
Each period in the contest will be referred to as a "week", despite the fact that some periods extend beyond 7 consecutive days. All "weeks" run according to the following schedule:
- The animal is helpless in, or because of deep snow, helpless on ice, helpless in a trap, or while swimming
- The animal is confined behind high fences (regardless of the acreage)
- The animal was spotted or hunted by "jacklighting" or "shining" at night
- By the use of any motorized vehicle
- By the use of any power vehicle for herding or driving any animals, including the use of aircraft for landing alongside of any animal or herd, or to communicate with or direct a hunter on the ground
- By the use of tranquilizers, traps or poisons
- On property for which the hunter does not have clear permission and right to hunt
- Any other method deemed unsportsmanlike by the judges
- Any unlawful method
Week & Dates
- Up to and including Oct 8
- Oct 9 - Oct 15
- Oct 16 - Oct 22
- Oct 23 - Nov 5
- Nov 6 - Nov 12
- Nov 13 - Nov 19
- Nov 20 - Nov 26
- Nov 27 - Dec 3
- Dec 4 - Dec 10
- Dec 11 - Dec 17
- Dec 18 - Dec 24
- Dec 25 - Dec 31
A non-related witness must sign saying they saw the animal within 24 hours of recovering the animal as a whole carcass (with or without entrails). A "non-related" witness is someone who has no familial relationship with the entrant by birth or by marriage.
Animals deemed by FROW officials to be "Nontypical" will be converted to a typical score using a 0.8718 conversion ratio. Using the Boone & Crockett minimum for typical and non-typical we arrive at the following example: 195" Nontypical * 0.8718 = 170" Typical. All entries are subject to a panel scoring as deemed necessary by FROW officials.
Participation in triathlon is only available to the weekly winner. No substitutes will be accepted.
Failure to attend AND compete in any event of the triathlon will result in complete forfeiture of any applicable prize package. Prizes are not transferable.
By participating, participants release Ontario Monster Whitetails (hereinafter named OMW) and its affiliated companies from printing/production errors and OMW may rescind any promotion to be found to contain such an error without liability at its sole discretion, subject to applicable law. By participating, participants (and participants parent/legal guardian if participant is a minor) agree that Ontario Monster Whitetails and its dealers (at any time during this sweepstakes), their, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising or promotion agencies, retailers and franchisees and all of the respective agents, employees, directors, representatives and officers of any of the above shall have no liability whatsoever, are released and will be indemnified and shall be held harmless by participants for any liability, claims, actions, or proceedings, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind to person(s), including death, and property damages sustained, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, in connection with or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use/misuse of any prize, or participation in this Sweepstakes or participation in any Sweepstakes related activity. By accepting a prize, winner (and winner's parent/legal guardian if winner is a minor) grant to Sponsor and those acting pursuant to its authority, (which grant will be confirmed in writing upon request of Sponsor), the right, in perpetuity, to print, publish, broadcast and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including but not limited to on the Internet and the World Wide Web, at any time or times, the winner's full name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, prize information, and biographical information, at any time or times, for advertising, commercial, trade and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law, and without review, approval or notification. Winner (and winner's parent/legal guardian if winner is a minor) will be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and where lawful a Publicity Release before receiving any prizes at the Hunting triathlon. If documents are not returned timely or if the prize notification or prize is returned as undeliverable, or if the prize winner is found to be ineligible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules, or declines the prize, the prize will be forfeited.
Back to Top